The M-Audio BX studio monitor series leverages technology from their high-end monitors to extend the frequency response and provide a more natural listening experience. Custom Class A/B analog amplifiers deliver superior dynamics and tonal accuracy across the frequency spectrumwhile the latest-generation woven Kevlar low-frequency drivers and waveguide-loaded silk dome tweeters provide rich, defined sound.
Countless pros use M-Audio studio monitors to produce and mix the music and audio you hear every day. The BX D2 series makes that same design philosophy and technology available to anyone with a passion for great sound. BX5 D2 helps you understand whats in your mix so you can make better decisions about how it will translate across a wide variety of systemsfrom MP3 earbuds to car stereos to audiophile rigs.
M-Audio's high-frequency domes are made from natural silk to counter the audible ringing that is inherent in the poorly crafted metallic materials often found in other monitors. The high-frequency driver is fully isolated from the rest of the enclosure to ensure minimum distortion, providing ultra-smooth frequency response up to 22 kHz. It also features a built-in waveguide, which offers an expansive sound stage and exceptional imaging.
To insure a lifetime of service, we constructed the BX5 D2 monitor's 5" low-frequency driver from woven Kevlar. Kevlar's high mechanical and thermal resilience makes it ideal for use in speaker cones. Their engineers also created a curved conical design that improves room dispersion. High-damping reliable rubber surrounds provide percussive musical bass, and insure that the cone reaches its optimal excursion for accurate reproduction. And their high-temperature voice coils reduce power compression.
The BX5 D2 cabinet is integrally designed with its other components for optimal performanceright down to rounded corners for reduced edge diffraction and superior imaging. The custom rear port is designed to minimize air turbulence and resulting distortion while adding additional low frequency extension.
The Class A/B bi-amplified design dedicates separate power amps to the high and low frequenciesproviding ample headroom for even the loudest and most dynamic of mixes. Combined with a finely tuned crossover, the design ensures that each driver only delivers the frequencies that it can reproduce most efficiently, resulting in tonal accuracy and cohesive sound across the entire frequency spectrum.
When monitoring, it's important to sit in the middle position or "sweet spot" between the 2 speakerswhere the stereo image is optimized. BX5 D2 features a pinhole power LED that makes finding the sweet spot easy. You'll know you're in the right listening position when the BX5 D2 power LEDs appear to be brightest.
M-Audio BX5-D2 Specifications:
- Frequency response: 53 Hz 22 kHz
- Crossover frequency: 3 kHz
- Low-frequency amplifier power: 40 watts
- High-frequency amplifier power: 30 watts
- Maximum signal-to-noise (dynamic range): > 100 dB (typical A-weighted)
- Polarity: positive signal at + input produce outward LF cone displacement
- Input impedance: 20 k ohms balanced, 10 k ohms unbalanced
- Input sensitivity: 85 mV pink noise input produces 90 dBA output SPL at one meter with volume control at maximum
- Power: factory programmed for either 115V ~50/60 Hz or 230V ~50/60 Hz
- Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, subsonic filter, external mains fuse
- Cabinet: vinyl-laminated MDF
- Size: 7.7" x 7" x 10" (19.5 x 17.6 x 25.2 cm)
- Weight: 11 lbs./unit (5 kg/unit)